- FOR THE CAKE:
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- A few microplane scratches of whole nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk*
- FOR THE WHISKEY HARD SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
It's got a toothsome, almost bread-like texture, and it's positively overflowing with tart, juicy Granny Smith apples.
- Yield8-10 servings
- Prep time
- Cook time
- Total time
- In CategoryDessert
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Mist an 8-inch diameter cake pan with non-stick spray, and line with a circle cut from parchment.
- Place the cake flour, ¾ cup of sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, cloves, and grated nutmeg in a large mixing bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Add the butter, and mix on low speed until the mixture resembles damp sand.
- Stir in the eggs, one at a time, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula after each addition.
- Add the buttermilk, and mix on medium-high speed for 60 to 90 seconds, to aerate the batter and build the cake's structure.
- Fold in the chopped apples, and transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the thickest part of the cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Serve with Whiskey Hard Sauce (optional).
FOR THE SAUCE:
- Place the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a small pot and whisk to combine.
- Slowly drizzle in the cream, while continuing to whisk.
- Stir in the whiskey, if using.
- Cook the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until boiling and thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Calories: 508
- Fat Content: 22.1g
- Cholesterol Content: 101mg
- Sodium Content: 220mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 70.6g
- Fiber Content: 3.5g
- Sugar Content: 39.3g
- Protein Content: 6.4g