Like many others around the country, I too, get really excited for cherry season. Honestly, it’s hard not to. But every year, I go through a series of emotions I’m sure some of you go through as well.
- Anticipation – Ok, just a couple more days and I will finally see those beautiful, red, juicy delicious jewels sparkling in the produce department.
- The Purchase – Oh my, yes. I got them. They are sitting in my cart and I can actually feel my mouth salivating a bit. I hope I get these home safely… Uh-oh, I just had a terrible thought. What if I drop them in the parking lot? Or what if I eat them all before I get home and my husband gets upset? Maybe I should buy two bags… Just. In. Case.
- More Anticipation – This is probably the longest car ride of my life. I feel like everyone is going slow on purpose.
- Relief – Phew, I made it home. And the cherries are all ok. I was able to make it safely out of that jungle they call a parking lot, the cherries didn’t spill all over my car and I was able to keep my hands off of them until my husband and I could enjoy them together. It’s going to be a great evening.
- Indulgence followed by pure bliss – These are the best cherries I have ever had in my entire life. How do I live without these for 9 months of the year?
- Pain followed by a little bit of regret – I ate too fast and now my stomach hurts and I’m bloated.
- [Time has passed] A smidge of disappointment – They’re gone. How did that happen? *Writes on grocery list: more cherries.
Now that you understand my emotional roller coaster a little better, it’s easy to understand why I decided to write this post: I need preservation in my life. Preserving uncooked cherries is super simple and I was able to whip up this recipe really easily. The great thing about preserving cherries is that it’s a quick way to save some of summer’s best fruit and still be able to enjoy it once it’s out of season.
With that, I hope you can enjoy this preservation recipe like I did! And if you have any cool tips and tricks up your sleeves about preserving cherries, let us know in the comments.