Move over, pumpkin spice! Fall is here, and there’s a new flavor to celebrate with. You may have seen (or tried!) Starbucks’ Apple Crisp Macchiato: a caffeinated beverage brimming with delicious flavors of crisp apple, warm spices, and buttery caramel.
Skip the line (and steep price tag!) and learn how to make your very own Apple Crisp Macchiato at home! Learn how to make the delicious components of this seasonal drink including a homemade spiced apple syrup featuring delicious Stemilt Apples that may become a new staple in your warm beverage concocting at home!
What Is A Macchiato?
A macchiato is an espresso beverage that includes espresso and steamed milk. Compared to other espresso drinks, the macchiato includes the least amount of milk in comparison to espresso. For example, the latte includes espresso, steamed milk, and foamed milk, thus increasing the ratio of milk to espresso.
What Is In An Apple Crisp Macchiato?
The Apple Crisp Macchiato you’ll find at Starbucks is actually not a cafe macchiato (or a proper macchiato); it’s rather a latte macchiato! That said, this recipe emulates that version, and features espresso, steamed milk, foamed milk, a homemade sliced apple syrup, and caramel drizzle.
Let’s break down each component:
Espresso: The sweet yet bitter caffeinated shots are best when pulled fresh, which is of course where an espresso machine comes in handy. You could opt to use instant espresso powder, or even strongly brewed coffee, if you don’t have an espresso maker.
Steamed and foamed milk: The standard in many coffee shops is 2% or whole milk, although a variety of dairy-free milk options have become much more readily available. Feel free to use coconut, almond, or oat milk, too.
Spiced Apple Syrup: A variety of delicious Stemilt Apples are used as the star of this mouthwatering syrup! Sliced apple, brown sugar, and warm spices are combined with water in a saucepan and warmed through until the sugar dissolves. The mixture infuses as it cools, imparting a wonderfully warm flavor.
Caramel Drizzle: This Apple Crisp Macchiato almost won’t be complete without a generous drizzle of buttery homemade caramel sauce. This sauce is so simple to make!
How To Make Spiced Apple Syrup Using Stemilt Apples
This spiced apple syrup is what sets this seasonal beverage apart! Most flavored beverages include a syrup like this which adds sweetness and additional flavor. This syrup includes:
The process of making your own syrup is so simple. Maybe that’s why the base recipe is literally called “simple syrup”! The classic recipe calls for equal parts water to sugar, which is simmered until the sugar dissolves.
Here’s how to make it!
Make Your Own Apple Crisp Macchiato!
This recipe is an easy dupe for the Starbucks Apple Crisp Macchiato. Now that you know how simple it is to make this seasonal beverage at home, be sure to try it out yourself! Enjoy!
- For Spiced Apple Syrup
- 1 Stemilt Sweet Tango Apple, sliced
- 1 Stemilt Pink Lady Apple, sliced
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cups water
- For Apple Crisp Macchiato
- 3 Tbsp Spiced Apple Syrup
- 3/4 cup milk of choice (2%, whole, almond, oat, or coconut are all delicious options!)
- 1 shot espresso
- Salted Caramel Sauce to drizzle
This recipe is an easy dupe for the Starbucks Apple Crisp Macchiato.
Created for Stemilt by Jamie Preuss from @sohappyyoulikedit
For the Spiced Apple Syrup
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and freshly grated nutmeg to a saucepan.
- Add sliced apples and top with water. Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Swirl the pan sporadically, encouraging the sugar to move throughout the pan and dissolve.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and set aside. As the mixture cools, the apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg will infuse the syrup with excellent flavor.
- Once completely cool, sample the syrup. If the flavors haven’t developed to your liking, let it steep a little longer!
- When flavors have developed, strain the mixture removing the apple and cinnamon. Pour mixture in a glass jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
To Assemble an Apple Crisp Macchiato
- Add spiced apple syrup to a large mug.
- Bring milk of choice to a simmer in a saucepan. Using a handheld frother, froth the milk until foamy. If you don’t have a handheld frother, just whisk vigorously until the milk is foamy.
- Pour milk into the mug, reserving some of the foam to top the macchiato.
- Pour the espresso shot over the milk and syrup.
- Spoon foamed milk on top of mug.
- Drizzle lightly with caramel sauce and sprinkle with nutmeg. Enjoy!
- The syrup will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
- Calories: 204
- Fat Content: 9.9g
- Cholesterol Content: 8mg
- Sodium Content: 50mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 45.7g
- Fiber Content: 4.5g
- Sugar Content: 38.9g
- Protein Content: 2.8g