Way back when I was a teenager, growing up in Birmingham, Alabama, life was pretty simple. We didn’t really have a mall close by where I lived to go hang out with my friends, but we did have a pizza buffet that rocked our world! You know the type, basically every kind of pizza under the sun on one buffet line, even dessert pizza! These days, I don’t frequent the pizza buffet anymore – not because I wouldn’t, just because my gluten intolerance won’t let me. I do, however, take inspiration from it, like with this gluten-free, Easy Apple Dessert Pizza!
I have such fond memories of that pizza buffet line.
It was where I was first introduced to mac and cheese on a pizza and it was definitely the first time I ever had dessert in the form of a pizza! My favorite was a Cinnamon Apple Pizza drizzled with icing. It was warm and flaky and downright decadent! Everything a girl could ask for in a dessert, right?!
Let’s talk about what makes this Easy Apple Dessert Pizza so special, shall we?!
The crust | This is no ordinary pizza pie my friend, this crust is made of sugar cookie dough. (In my case gluten-free sugar cookie dough, but hey- you do you!) Store bought cookie mixes, pre-made tubes of dough, or even from scratch recipes are all welcome at this pizza party, just form it into a big circle the shape of a pizza pie then bake it to perfection!
The “sauce” | Obviously, you wouldn’t use tomato sauce on a dessert pizza, that would just be gross! But, you know what you can use?! A whipped brown sugar and cream cheese spread! Oh yes, friend- this little dessert dipper is just heavenly! Creamy, luscious, and rich. Just like a dessert pizza should be!
The “toppings” | This Easy Apple Dessert Pizza has a sweet-tart combo of thinly sliced Stemilt Piñata® apples and Granny Smith apples. I sliced the apples paper-thin on a mandoline to ensure easy eating, but you could just chop them up very finely too.
What are you waiting for?
Up your dessert game with a little food fusion of sorts and make your family this Easy Apple Dessert Pizza, they are totally going to be singing your praises for it!!
- Sugar cookie dough; 1 tube, 1 box/bag mix, or 1 batch of homemade dough, use gluten free if necessary
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 Stemilt Piñata® apple, cored
- 1 Stemilt Granny Smith apple , cored
- 3-4 tablespoon prepared caramel sauce, either store bought or homemade
- Powdered sugar, if desired
Up your dessert game with a little food fusion of sorts and make your family this Easy Apple Dessert Pizza, they are totally going to be singing your praises for it!
- Shape the prepared cookie dough into a 10-12-inch round, like a pizza crust, on a piece of parchment and bake according to the directions on your package or recipe. Cool completely.
- Beat the softened cream cheese, brown sugar, and vanilla together.
- Spread the "sauce" on top of the cooled cookie crust. Set aside.
- When you are ready to serve, use a mandoline or a very sharp knife to thinly slice the apples.
- Then arrange them on top of the prepared pizza crust.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired, serve immediately.
- Calories: 352
- Fat Content: 18.4
- Sodium Content: 245.2mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 43.4
- Sugar Content: 30.4
- Protein Content: 3.7