Originally published March 2015, updated April 2023.
Green: The Color of Spring
Whether prompted by thoughts of budding trees and bright green lawns…the promise of Spring spur cravings for crisp, fresh flavors…and the color green! We start to put away our soup pots and reach for the gardening gloves, anticipating the seasonal change in flavors on our plate.
Flavors that not only taste like Spring… but look like Spring as well!
There’s nothing that celebrates the return of spring better than a beautifully composed plating of bright, leafy greens chock full of fresh flavors…beautifully hued in what else but varied tones of green to make a real statement! This is where the Ultimate Green Salad makes it debut.
Crafting the Ultimate Green Salad
Nothing marches you as happily into Spring like the crunch, color and captivating flavor of Stemilt’s Granny Smith apple…perfect for salads, spring tarts, and caramel suace!
Granny Smith apples are the perfect partner in this Spring greens salad, offering a tart pop of fresh crunch and delicious, lemon-tinged flavor that plays beautifully with the light, lemon vinaigrette and definitely wakes the palate to the promise of the season. Thinly sliced and artfully nestled throughout the salad, these pops of bright, fruity flavor appear like luminescent ribbons…trimmed in green, delicate, pretty and perfectly delicious.
Adding to this verdantly green plating are juicy halves of seedless green grapes, thin shavings of parmesan, and delicious air-fried brussels sprouts. You can even sneak in some green onions. All of the green ingredients bring this salad to life before the dressing hits the plate, but for an extra crunch on top: chopped pistachios…the perfect pop of subtle green crunch.
Let us know how you like to create the Ultimate Green Salad and leave us a comment below if you have tried our delicious recipe.
- 1 Stemilt Granny Smith Apple, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2.5 to 3 oz mixed baby greens
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 2 large green onions, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 1/2 cup halved green seedless grapes
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup of shaved parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
Granny Smith apples, pistachios, green grapes, brussels sprouts and leafy greens make this the ultimate power-packed green salad.
- Place ribbons of Granny Smith apple on a plate and drizzle with fresh lemon juice, to keep them from browning. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently toss mixed greens, celery, green onions, grapes.
- Tossed brussel sprouts in olive oil and bake until brown. These can also go into an air fryer for a quicker cook time.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, salt and pepper together for a quick vinaigrette. At this stage, you can dress and toss greens or plate greens undressed and serve dressing alongside to drizzle atop.
- Once greens are plated, carefully coil and thread apple “ribbons” among leaves. Sprinkle each salad with chopped pistachios and shaved parmesan and serve immediately.
- Calories: 112
- Fat Content: 3.3
- Protein Content: 2.6
- Carbohydrate Content: 18.7
- Fiber Content: 3.4
- Sugar Content: 13.2