Apple Grilled Cheese
I’m not a mom yet, so I don’t fully understand how moms do it all. With so much going on all at one time, it makes sense that moms are constantly looking to simplify their life. That being said, I want to share this tasty snack idea with moms everywhere because I know you are going to LOVE it. It’s flavorful, healthy and simple to create, making it one of the best snacks ever! A nutritionist friend of ours, Emily Weeks of Zen & Spice, took the classic comfort-food staple, a grilled cheese sandwich, and turned it into a simple, savory, healthy treat that any kiddo will love – Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwiches!
These cute little “sandwiches” are perfect for any moms looking to simplify their life. With simple ingredients and endless combinations, you will constantly be hearing, “Mom, can I have one more?”
Emily created multiple choices for these delicious apple grilled cheese sandwiches, with a few even having a couple of tasty spices to add in. Then she laid it out below in a simple, easy-to-follow recipe format.
From a Honeycrisp Provolone Sandwich to a Gala Apple and Swiss cheese combination, the sandwich combos are endless, leaving you with an amazing snack the kids won’t be able to get enough of. Do you have a flavor combo we didn’t list? Let us know in the comments below and happy snacking!
Flavor Combinations for Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:
- Fuji Apple + apricot preserves + havarti cheese + fresh rosemary sprig
- Red Delicious Apple + cheddar cheese + fresh thyme sprig
- Honeycrisp Apple + provolone cheese
- Granny Smith Apple + cheddar cheese
- Gala Apple + swiss cheese
- Carefully slice the apple of your choice into one-fourth inch round slices.
- Layer two apple rounds with flavor combinations (sliced cheese and/or herbs). Tip: Use a round biscuit cutter to create cheese slices the same size as the apple slices.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat and place the apple “sandwich” in the pan and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, just until the apple softens and light grill marks appear. Enjoy!
Tip: Be careful not to overcook the apples or the cheese will melt out!